Tuesday, February 23, 2010

my father's chauffeur

my father used to have a chauffeur, years back. i don't really know why, because he could have driven himself and does so perfectly well now. i think part of the reason was because his driver was a college buddy. the driver's name was "ah-long" or as a literal translation uncle dragon and he was just this cool, chain-smoking, whiskey drinking, golf hustler who'd hit a few bad streaks.

ah-long was the type of uncle to give you cigarettes and sneak you drinks when you're 16 and stuck at a lame adult party. he gave me pointers on my golf game and once even gave me a few cubans he had somehow procured. since him and my dad were friends, they went everywhere together. during long rides i heard them debate life, politics, and everything in between except women, at least never in front of me.

my parents always spoke highly of him. he had been popular back and college and been lucky with a few small businesses but things changed and he had to start driving for my dad. he was always smiling his nicotine stained yellows and was always with a quick "good morning" or "how are you today". i would probably only see him once a year, just the number of times i went back to taiwan to see the family. every year, i would go back and my dad would tell me that he would have to let ah-long go. but he never did. at least not until a few years ago.

"dad, where's ah long?"

"he stopped working for me a few months ago."

"how come?"

"just because, that's how things work out."

"how is he?"

"who?"

"ah-long"

he paused for a while. sometimes i can still never tell if my father is in deep contemplation or an unengaged stupor.

"he's not doing so well. his son recently had an accident. he was on his scooter and was hit by a utility truck, they had to amputate both his legs after unsuccessfully trying to save them. his girlfriend at the time was also on the scooter, but luckily she survived the ordeal with little injury."

"is his son okay now?"

"he's recovering."

"what about ah-long?"

"he's dealing with it."

i haven't seen ah-long since he stopped driving for my dad but every once in awhile i'll ask about him and how he's doing. he's one of those people that kind of just fade out of your life, yet leaving a tremendour impression. my dad recently told me that ah-long has just found a new job. he's managing a manufacturing plant in the steel industry. his son isn't doing too bad either, he recently got into law school and is engaged. sometimes, things work out okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment