Wednesday, August 19, 2009

New Job

I started my first actual coaching job today, meaning that the kids jumped into the pool and got their swim on. It was a peculiar feeling, having control, the kids asking how many laps when I said we're doing sprints. When I asked if they needed a break, they shook their heads panting and eyed the far length of the pull poised for more. One kid told me he needed to sit out after he puked in the toilet while another shook my hand after practice and told me that he couldn't take the training and left the team. I was only doing what I had been taught myself, but it was odd to watch these kids work, trying to do the best that they could.

It was fun, a lot more fun than I've had in any job that I could remember, besides the first few months of being a maintenance guy for a country club back in Davis. I would rather be outside, than stuck in a cubicle any day. To get to the coaching gig, I had get certified and tested for a bunch of shit, but at least I'll know what to do in case I ever see a fat dude choking in a restaurant.

They told me that they went for a perfect losing season last year and hated their last coach so I really don't have anywhere to go but up unless I really fuck things up. It's hard trying to be the responsible adult who is to model behavior for teenagers. I know the job isn't all just about winning, but goddamn if it wouldn't be nice to have a few W's on the board. I asked the athletic director if it would be possible to have Saturday practices and he snickered and told me that even mandated Friday practices are lacking in participation. We'll really have to see how that works out.

I suppose as long as I'm still enjoying everything, things will be okay.

I talked to a high school friend today who was in the area and we got onto the topic of careers. He's going to med school soon and told me of the rigors of the next decade of his life. It was said with a touch of melancholy as we recounted friends who were doing well now, but in the end it was agreed that chasing after the dream was very much more worth it. There's only a few times in life you can play the "what if" game until finally realizing that you've never even taken a chance in your life.



No comments:

Post a Comment